Senior Outreach Services Program
Sanford Center for Aging
About the Program
The Senior Outreach Services (SOS) program, founded in 2002, provides support to Washoe County’s most vulnerable elders through trained volunteers that help seniors “Age in Place,” and allow them to stay in their homes as long as possible. These seniors are 60 years and older, frail, home-bound, low income, and in need of a friend. Many are isolated and may have no immediate family or other support system — yet all are deserving of dignity and respect. Volunteers meet the essential needs of these seniors while engaging in meaningful service that enriches their own lives.
The program is funded by the Nevada Aging and Disability Services Division (ADSD), and the Jean Sanford Endowment. The Sanford Center for Aging, University of Nevada, Reno sponsors Senior Outreach Services while the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) of Washoe County recruits and enrolls interested volunteers. Mileage reimbursement for volunteers is funded by a special grant from Regional Transportation Commission.
What to Expect As a Volunteer
As an SOS volunteer you can help a needy senior be as independent as possible by:
- Offering companionship and emotional support by visiting once a week and keeping phone contact
- Providing support by driving clients to doctor’s offices, collecting prescription medication from pharmacies, assisting with grocery shopping and taking them on outings
- Sharing a skill, playing board games, assisting their clients with reading, especially those with limited vision
- Helping the frail seniors with other essential day-to-day needs
- Being an advocate for your clients and the eyes and ears of the program
What volunteers do not do:
- Assist with housekeeping, laundry, or personal care
- Take responsibility for money management
- Administer medicine
Get Involved With SOS
If you have the desire to volunteer your time to assist frail seniors in our community for two or more hours each week, please call Sina Ward, Senior Outreach Services Director at (775) 784-7506.